Sunday 13 May 2018

Sunshine Round Box


I didn't start with this box in mind! I started with a large wooden box
that I had applied industrial themed die cuts,stencils and texture paste.
Then I was going to ‘rust’ it but the sun was out!!! So I felt like doing
something bright.
I have loads of scrap pieces of rice paper lying around so that was my
answer to what I was going to use for decorating the box.
Firstly I applied a wash of watered down silver paint all over the box.
I stamped onto the rice paper.
Placing the stamped images on a non stick craft sheet I spritzed them
with water. Then added blobs of paint in various parts so the colour
would spread. Some blobs needed a helping hand to spread trying not
to make a hole in the paper. A rip is OK but a hole is harder to disguise.
Then left them to dry on the non stick craft sheet because the rice
paper would have torn into pieces if I had tried to move wet. Rice paper
is tougher than tissue but it does have limitations.
When dry I used a water brush to “draw” around the images, doing this
is easier and quicker than tearing because the rice paper just pulls away
following the water line.
I used gel medium to adhere the rice paper to the round box.
Note to self - check I have the box the right way up!!! Obviously I didn't
until the glue gel had dried! Luckily the 3 trays were easy to remove.
So whilst out of the box I applied a silver wash. Then sticking them back
into the box.
Once everything was dry I added doodles with a white pen and ‘dotted’
paint in various parts of the design.
Then I applied a metallic glaze all over, unfortunately by doing this I lost
some of the white pen doodles!
Finally I applied gloss gel medium.
Inspiration came from Anneke De Clerck

Materials used;
PaperArtsy Fresco Acrylics - Smoked Paprika, Tango, Yellow Submarine,
Orchid, Metallic Glaze. Stamps - JOFY31, EKC13.
Gloss gel medium,
Nuvo hybrid ink - brown,
Rice paper.

Challenge entered;



No comments:

Post a Comment