Saturday 4 July 2015

Paperarsty Challenge 2015 - Stencils




 I couldn’t wait to get stuck into this challenge. I have bought 2 canvases {not proper canvas but more of a nylon texture!} from a car boot a few weeks ago and itching to decorate them. The inspiration that got my creative cogs turning  for my design  was the 1st post of the challenge and the 2nd video by Leandra Grunge Paste 106 Stencil Stamping  link.
Firstly, Because the canvas was a nylon texture I applied Mod Podge matt so that the paint had a key.
Applied Next paint for the base colour.
Applied Fresco paints with a brayer. This is the 1st time I have ever used the brayer and I absolutely love the effect it gives with the paints.

Applied grunge paste through stencils. The paint and pastes dried really quickly because of the very hot weather!

Stamped on the canvas using paint.
Used a stencil with paint in various areas and layering over the grunge paste.

Cut flowers and butterflies, applied rusting powder (I’m so loving this technique, it really does look like rust!), you have to spray white vinegar over the powder so my house smelt like a chippy!! I left it over night to take effect. The next morning I scrunched then and only a tiny bit of rust fell off! I wasn’t sure if it would adhere to the wax paper. The leaves I left plain. Stuck them on the canvas with Pinflare gel.
Coloured twine with paint. Stuck to the canvas with Mod Podge.
Filled in areas with stamp and ink.
Finished.

I love all the layers and textures, it’s a touchy feely design!

Materials used;
Paperartsy Fresco Paints – Tango, Beach Hut, Spanish Mulberry, Yellow Submarine.
Paperartsy Stamps – Ink and the Dog HP1006.
Paperartsy Die – flower and leaf.
Paperartsy Grunge Paste.
Paperartsy wax paper.
Tonic Studios – butterfly and stamp dies. Glitter.
Stencils – Clarity, Crafters Companion, Dina Wakely.
Viva Décor – glitter paste.
Crafty Notions - Rusting powder.
Stampendous Frantage Mica
Stazon Ink – Teal.
Pinflare 3D gel.

From my stash;
Canvas from car boot {cheap n nasty nylon canvas!}.
Mod Podge – matt.
Brayer.
Twine.
Next Matt Emulsion.

Challenge entered;
  Paperartsy.co.uk - Stencils







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful stencil work , Jane , love your canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, love all the layers. Brayers are definitely fun!

    ReplyDelete