Thursday 9 November 2017

Rust Rust and More Rust!!!













I just love rust! After years of owning lambrettas I'm used to rust.
Inspiration for this piece was from  Sue Carrington's  post but i went off onto a  tangent for what I actually made!
The piece I started with involved stamping onto fabric with Versamark and then sprinkling rust powder over it. BUT I'm not totally happy with my results and i feel it  needs a lot of tweaking. Hopefully I can finish it before the challenge ends!
So for this project I recreated rust (hopefully you agree!) on greyboard.
I just kept applying layers of paint (listed below) until I got rust.
Then using distress oxide ink I stamped onto the background and sprinkled with rusting powder then spritzed with vinegar. I used vinegar as I get a better result than if I used just water. I then had to wait for the magic to happen! The house does smell like a chippy! Left it overnight and the next day I did have rust but the stamped images were unrecognisable!
Not to be defeated I stamped around the edges with stencil glue. Initially I was going to use flitterglue by Indigoblu as it's a really strong glue that stays tacky until something is applied/sprinkled on top of it but when I opened the tub it had gone off so the only alternative to hand was stencil glue.   
I then sprinkled rusting powder over the glue and it stuck fast. Spritzed with vinegar and left overnight.  Success! I have rusty stamped images.
I repeated the rust techniques onto the MDF shaped as a scooter.  I know it is a Vespa not a lambretta but I couldn't find MDF lambrettas anywhere.
Finally I stuck the scooter to the background.

Materials used;
PaperArtsy Fresco paints Green Patina,Mud Splat. Stamps ETS02,ESA04
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Payne's Grey, Quinacridone Gold
Distress Oxide Cracked Pistachio
Crafty Notions Rusting Powder
White vinegar
Challenge entered; PaperArtsy

No comments:

Post a Comment