Saturday 26 September 2015

PaperArtsy Topic 17: Pigment Powders


I looked at this challenge and though I haven't got any pigments! Then as I was reading the explanation of all the pigments available it suddenly dawned on me that I had 2 kindsMica and Luminarte pigments. 
Primary Elements Artist-Pigments are created by hand blending bright clean high quality pigments with our proprietary blend of mica's and other minerals. The result is brilliant colours refracting light similar to a crystal. The sparkle and shimmer of Twinkling H2Os add depth and dimension, even when used in washes. Luminarte Artist Pigments are perfect for mixed media. 
Luminarte Artist-Pigments TM, mixes with ease in gum binders, any acrylic medium, water-based polyurethane acrylic glaze or gel mediums. 

So that's what I have used, but I really need some Brushos! Obviously because I need non sparkly pigments, lol. 

For this challenge I was inspired by the design done by Kay Carley.
But I wanted to try embossing powder over the wet pigments! I haven't seen it done before, then realised it would be very hard to achieve as with this method there is too much water on the card! So I didn't bother, lol. 
Here goes; 
Stamped with Versamark and then applied white embossing powder and heated with a heat gun. Anyone new to embossing must understand that a heat gun gets very hot so to melt the powder a hair-dryer doesn't get hot enough and will blow the powder away. 
I spritzed the watercolour card with water. 
Sprinkled the pigments all over and waited for the magic,adding water if needed in different parts. 
Dried thoroughly. 
With a wet brush lifted the colour from areas that I wanted to apply another colour. 
Dabbing with a paper towel to help lift even more colour. Then applied more water with the brush and sprinkled with the pigments. 
Once happy with the distribution of the powder I dried the card with a heat gun. 
I liked how Kay had applied a shadow to the stamped images. I wanted to give that ago but I forgot to do it before fixing the design with Spray n Shine, lol. 
Stamped the wording. 
Applied Spray n Shine to fix the design. 
Matted onto black card. 
Will either use for a greeting card or may hang it on the wall. I've really enjoyed this technique and it's one that I know I will use often. 

Tip; decant your powder into a shaker type container or if original container allows make a few small holes in the lid so that you can shake the powder onto your design. I didn't do this and found it hard to shake the powder from a stirring stick because most of the time it fell off in one big clump and so I had to use a brush to move the powder and water. Dipping ( just touch the surface is quite sufficient) a stiff brush into the powder then flicking it over the card and water gave a better result. 

Materials used; 
Luminarte Artist Pigments – Ginger Peach, Blushing Rose, Sky Blue, Key Lime, Sunflower. 
PaperArtsy stamps –  
Wow Embossing Powder- White. 
Versamark  
Distress Ink  Peacock. 
Crafters Companion – Spray n Shine. 

From my stash; 
Watercolour card. 
Fine mist sprayer. 
Black card. 

Challenge entered; 





No comments:

Post a Comment