Wednesday, 24 September 2014

My Favourite Holidays, Tattered Lace Goes Tatty Lace!!




When I saw what the challenge was on the tattered lace website I was so excited that I could use my scooter die.
My holidays used to be scooter rallies, some rallies were at the seaside and some more inland usually in a field with minimal facilities.
No I wasn't a mod I was a Scooterist with a Lambretta J125. It's a shame that the die is a Vespa but it's one of the best scooter dies I've seen. I also bought the mini car die at the same time as I used to have a mini many moons ago and it had so much character. The word 'character' plays heavy in what I'm saying because the mini was always breaking down! i had a hammer, 2 litre bottle of water and oil with me in the car at all times. The head gasket had blown a bit so it whistled like a kettle, it burnt oil and I had to use the hammer on the starter motor every time I went anywhere in it! Then I go and buy a scooter and a Lambretta at that! The Lambretta is known to every scooterist that they are not that reliable and when riding any distance it is very handy if you have breakdown cover or a van at hand to take it to your destination.
I wanted to do something with the scooter die that showed different ways of using the die cut with mixed media to add texture to my design.

I have made 2 designs.

Firstly the canvas -
I haven't used a canvas as such but cardboard packaging!
Scooters became popular in the 1960's theme so I have used wallpaper with an embossed sunburst design as the background.
I sprayed the Dylusions ink to add colour but it hasn't taken very well because I didn't realise the wallpaper is for use in kitchens and bathrooms so there is a coating preventing the ink to adhere! I did use pink and green ink but the green has disappeared! I'm not sure if it's me handling the paper or the green has been soaked up with the pink.
I cut 3 bracket shapes in card.
Using distress stains and inks I blobbed and sprayed the colour onto my craft mat then sprayed with water. Then dabbed and dragged my 3 pieces of card through the puddle of colour. Leaving them to dry.
I added colour around the edges with distress ink and sparkle medium.
I cut 2 scooters with thick cardboard and glued them together. Once dry I placed it under the bracket card and put it through my big shot. I now have an embossed scooter.
Using an Inkylicious Ink Duster I coloured the embossed scooter to really bring out the detail. Even though I say it myself I am very pleased with the result.
Taking the 2nd piece of card I use another scooter I have cut from thick card as a stencil. Colouring with the ink duster and ink.
The 3rd piece of card I stamped the scooter. To make the stamp I ran funky form and the die through my big shot and stuck it onto clear acetate packaging as this seems thicker than acetate I had in my stash.
Before sticking them down I stencilled flowers from the new Kaleidoscope collection with ink and sparkle medium.
Once everything was stuck down I printed off 2 photos of me n my scooter, trimmed them to size with a spellbinders edging die.
Finally added a flower and butterfly that I spritzed with the ink.
I've stuck the photos with repositionable glue as I may print the photos again cos I've noticed that when I've die cut it I've ended up with a valley cut in my head!!!! If no one notices I may leave it as it is lol.

Photo frame -
The 'frame' started off as a piece of packaging that I had been saving to make into a frame. It had the aperture already in it.
I covered with zebra duck tape.
Chose photos of some of the rallies and my scooter a few years ago. Scanned in a lambretta logo and resized it. Printed.
Cut out the logo with a die edger assembled in the frame and added some embossed card n a scooter.
Added flowers to the frame.

I hope you like my take on a 'Tattered Lace holiday'.

Materials used;
Tattered Lace dies - Scooter, Sentiment, Kaleidoscope collection flowers and butterflies.
Spellbinders die - edges.
Distress stains - brushed pewter, peacock feathers.
Dylusions spray - pink, lime
Distress ink - picked raspberry.
Sparkle medium - old rose, chartreuse.
Inkylicious Ink Dusters
Zebra duck tape from Hobbycraft

Materials used from my stash;
Big Shot
Bracket die
Cardboard and acetate packaging.

White card.

Challenge entered;